020 8270 4222
020 8270 4200
NEWS AND EVENTS
LITERACY AND NUMERACY FUNDING
Year 7 literacy and numeracy catch-up premium- 2015-2016
The literacy and numeracy catch-up premium gives schools additional funding to support year 7 pupils who did not achieve at least level 4 in reading or maths at the end of key stage 2 (KS2).
How much do we receive?
Each pupil is entitled to £500
How did we allocate the premium in 2014-2015?
The following actions were given to all pupils.
• Each pupil in receipt of the premium had a 1 to 1 meeting with a teacher to identify general needs and learning styles early in the academic year.
• All pupils in receipt of the maths premium had small group mentoring in numeracy.
• All pupils in receipt of the English premium were supported through the accelerated reader program and monitored for progress. In addition they were offered after school literacy support in a number of areas.
What effect did this have in 2014 - 2015?
29 Pupils had a KS2 English level below 4. At the end of year 7;
• On average these pupils made 1.6 sublevels of progress. The year group as a whole made less than 1.5 sublevels of progress.
• All level 2 pupils had become secure level 3 pupils.
• 55% had become level 4.
• 4 pupils made 3 sub levels of progress and 2 pupils made 4 sub levels of progress.
33 pupils had a KS2 maths level of below 4. At the end of year 7;
• On average these pupils made 1.4 levels of progress. The year group as a whole made 1.5 sublevels of progress.
• The number of pupils in level 2 reduced from 5 to 4 but all of these pupils made progress except the 2 indicated below.
2 pupils who were part of this cohort regressed during year 7. Both pupils had a history of poor attendance at primary school and had an attendance during year 7 of less than 50%.
How do we plan to allocate the premium in this academic year?
The plan for 2015-2016 is based upon our evaluation and analysis of last year’s progress and the research from both the DfE and the Sutton trust in the weblinks below;
• All pupils will have an outline meeting early in the academic year to look at Attendance and learning history to date.
• All maths pupils will receive the small group withdrawal numeracy sessions.
• All pupils receive accelerated reader sessions. In addition to these all pupils in receipt of the premium will receive after school sessions to support literacy and writing.
• All pupils will be tracked as a research group for progress in all subjects using the school MIS system SIMS.
• Monitoring of progression will be undertaken by the numeracy and literacy coordinators in the school.
• Any pupil below level 2 on entry will have a timetable reduction considered to accommodate additional 1 to 1 teaching.
Number of pupils
(A) Lower Site
Green Lane Lower Site
Fax: 020 8270 4220
(B) Upper Site
Gosfield Road Upper Site
Tel: 020 8270 4200
Fax: 020 8270 4210